Introduction about Ruby on Rails
Overview of Ruby on Rails and the advantages of web development with Ruby on Rails.
What'll we do:
- What is Ruby on Rails?
- The Design Philosophy of Ruby on Rails
- The Advantages of Ruby on Rails
- Official Documentation
What is Ruby on Rails?
- Ruby on Rails is an open-source web framework written in the Ruby programming language. Ruby on Rails is often just called Rails.
- Rails includes everything needed to create database-backed web applications according to the Model-View-Controller (MVC) pattern.
- In 2013, David Heinemeier Hansson (DHH) created Rails by extracting it from Basecamp and it was officially released in July of 2004 as open source code.
- Rails optimized for programmer happiness and beautiful code. It is designed to make web applications easier by making assumptions about what every developer needs to get started. It allows you to write less code while accomplishing more than many other languages and frameworks.
- Some of the famous applications using Rails as: GitHub, Airbnb, Shopify, Basecamp, Kickstarter, Goodreads, SoundCloud and hundreds of thousands more all run on Rails.
The Design Philosophy of Ruby on Rails
The Rails design philosophy includes two major guiding principles:
- Don't Repeat Yourself (DRY): is a principle of software development which states that "Every piece of knowledge must have a single, unambiguous, authoritative representation within a system." By not writing the same information over and over again, our code is more maintainable, more extensible, and less buggy.
- Convention Over Configuration (CoC): Rails has opinions about the best way to do many things in a web application, and defaults to this set of conventions, rather than require that you specify minutiae through endless configuration files.
The Advantages of Ruby on Rails
- The Rails community on GitHub has over 5,000 contributors who already have contributed code to Rails, with the goal of making Ruby on Rails better for everyone.
- This huge community already created a lot new free libraries, called Gems which reusable solutions to solve common problems. The number of Ruby gems has reached 160,000+, with over 56 billion downloads.
SPEED AND EFFICIENCY
- 2 principles are DRY and CoC which help to build Rails applications highly productive.
- With a huge collection of Gems, developers can easy build functionality faster.
- That is a key reason why many start choosing Ruby on Rails for MVP (minimum viable product) development.
Ruby on Rails has plenty of built-in security and functionality to against common attacks such as:
- SQL Injection
- Cross-Site Scripting (XSS)
- Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF)
- Session Hijacking
- Insecure Direct Object Reference or Forceful Browsing.
- Ruby on Rails: https://rubyonrails.org/
- Ruby on Rails Guides: https://guides.rubyonrails.org/
- Ruby Gems: https://rubygems.org/
- The Rails Doctrine: https://rubyonrails.org/doctrine/
In this article, I help you have an overview about Ruby on Rails and advantages of web development with Ruby on Rails.